James here from Switch Physio Penshurst,
Here are 5 tips to prevent injury:
- Complete a thorough warm up with sport specific drills and dynamic stretches
- Spend at least 10 minutes stretching out other muscles around the hip and low back
- Gradually increase your training loads leading into the pre-season
- Allow adequate recovery between training and games
- Include appropriate speed work in training programs so the hamstrings are capable of sustaining high acceleration forces
Prevention is key!
One of the most common injuries in pre-season is a hamstring (“hammy”) strain. The muscles are very susceptible to tears and strains when overused.
In the Australian Football League (AFL), hamstring muscle is the most common injury type in the sport. This happens more frequently in Pre-season.
It is very important to ensure the hamstring is properly rehabilitated as there is a high percentage of re-injury. In soccer players it is the highest with 17% of players re-injuring, with players missing out on average 4 games per season. It is important to know and recognise when you might be at risk of developing a hamstring injury.
Proven risk factors
- Increasing age
- Previous history of hamstring strains
- Hamstring flexibility
- Hamstring strength
Other risk factors that may be associated with hamstring issues include, imbalances between muscle groups around the hip and inadequate warm up and preparation for competition.
If you are experiencing hamstring pain or have a history of hamstring injuries, please call our clinic for an appointment or you can book online.
Give us a call to book an appointment
02 9585 8844
Meet Some Of The Team
Come Visit Us
Mon-Fri: 8am - 8pm Sat: 8am - 1pm
02 9585 8844
24 Railway Parade, Penshurst