Hi James here from Switch Physio
How do I combat headaches at work?
Posture! Posture! Posture! – that is the hot word at the proverbial water cooler at work. Why do we have so many aches and pains at work?
As we may have come to know, many postural related issues can be caused by our habits at work. Our external environment can often contibute to the development of a myriad of issues including muscle tightness and tension and joint stiffness in the neck. This can then lead to the development of tension related headaches.
Apart from the hum-drum (but important!) exercises, below are some tips to help combat tension-related headaches.
- Lighting: make sure your computer screen is not too bright. Overly bright screen or glare can lead to headaches. Low or dim light leads can cause you to strain your eyes and thus lead to fatigue as your eyes try to adjust
- Look away! The National Headache Institute suggests looking away from your screen every 15 minutes to reduce eye strain.
- Movement – Get ACTIVE!! This can be your excuse to grab a herbal tea or coffee- perform stretches at your desk every hour or so. Perform one or two exercises for 2-3 minutes. Make small adjustments to your working day such as increasing your walking or taking the stairs.
- Eat! Healthy and regular eating also helps reduce stress levels on your body. Don’t start your day without some food. Coffee is not enough!
- Get some ZZZ’s – get a consistent amount of sleep every night. Erratic sleeping can affect energy and performance levels at work and lead to fatigue related issues.
Physiotherapist are trained in diagnosing and assessing neck pain and headaches. The aim of treatment is to not only provide pain relief but also provide you with strategies to fight your headaches.
If you are experiencing headaches, please call our clinic for an appointment or you can book online.